Worldwide, there are 94 countries and 53 states that accept the GRE scores. Hundreds of countries accept GRE scores as an entry requirement for postgraduate studies. It is a widely used admission test in English-speaking countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, and many more.
What countries accept and require GRE Scores?
The United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Europe, Singapore, and Australia are countries that accept and require GRE scores. The GRE is one of the most widely accepted entrance examinations in English-speaking countries.
The full list of countries that accept GRE scores are the following:
- United States
- District of Columbia
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- United States Territories
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- US Virgin Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Northern Island
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Sri Lanka
- St. Kitts
- St. Lucia
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom
- West Indies
The countries that accept GRE scores are listed above. Note, however, that not all universities and colleges in these countries ask for GRE as a requirement. It may still depend from university to university. So, it is still best to check the requirements needed for each school.
Which countries offer the GRE General Test At Home Testing?
It is offered everywhere the test is normally available except Mainland China and Iran. The GRE General Test At Home Testing is an option for examinees to take their test in the comfort of their homes rather than at testing centers. Its content is similar to the test taken at testing centers but the difference is it is answered on a computer.
Do top universities accept GRE?
Yes, a variety of top academic institutions across the globe accept GRE scores for admissions to a wide range of specializations. Top program considered and taken by students is the Master of Science program.
What universities accept GRE scores in the United States?
Academic institutions in the United States that accept GRE scores are the following:
- American University
- Boston University
- Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburg, Pennsylvania)
- Central Connecticut State University
- Dartmouth College
- Delaware State University
- Fairfield University
- George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Harvard University (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
- Michigan State University
- Ohio State University
- Princeton University (Princeton, New Jersey)
- Quinnipiac University
- Rensselaer at Hartford
- Sacred Heart University
- Southern Connecticut State University
- Stanford University
- Strayer University
- Texas A&M University – College Station (College Station, Texas)
- The University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign (Urbana, Illinois)
- The University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth
- The University of Massachusetts, Lowell
- The University of Michigan – Ann Arbor (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- The University of Texas at Austin (Austin, Texas)
- University of California – Berkeley (Berkeley, California)
- University of Connecticut
- University of Hartford
- University of Maryland
- University of Massachusetts, Boston
- University of New Hampshire
- University of New Haven
- University of the Potomac
- University of Wisconsin
- Western Connecticut State University
- Western Michigan University
- Yale University
What universities accept GRE scores in the United Kingdom?
Academic institutions in the United Kingdom that accept GRE scores are the following:
- City University London
- Cranfield University
- Hult International Business School
- London Business School
- University of Cambridge
- University of Kent
- University of Leeds
- University of Manchester
- University of Oxford
- University of Reading
- University of Warwick
What universities accept GRE scores in Australia?
Academic institutions in Australia that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Australian National University
- Central Queensland University
- Deakin University
- University of Melbourne
- University of Western Australia
- University of Sydney
What universities accept GRE scores in Germany?
Academic institutions in Germany that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Dortmund University
- GISMA Business School
- Goethe University Frankfurt
- Heidelberg University
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- Jacobs University Bremen
- Karlsruhe Institute of
- Ludwig Maximilians University Munchen
- Munich Business School
- RWTH Aachen University
- Technical University of Munich
- TU Dortmund University
- University of Freiburg
What universities accept GRE scores in Canada?
Academic institutions in Canada that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Acadia University
- Alberta University
- Bishops University
- Brandon University
- Brock University
- Cape Breton University
- Carleton University
- Concordia Lutheran Seminary
- Dalhousie University
- HEC Montreal
- Ivey Business School
- Lakehead University
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- Queens University
- Trent University
- Trinity Western University
- University of Montreal
- University of Ottawa
- University of Toronto
- York University
What universities accept GRE scores in Ireland?
Academic institutions in Ireland that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Michael Smurfit Grad Sch Bus
- Queens University Belfast
- Royal College Surgeons Ireland
- Trinity College Dublin
- University College Dublin
- University of Limerick
What universities accept GRE scores in Switzerland?
Academic institutions in Switzerland that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Business School Lausanne
- International University Geneva
- Swiss Fed Institute of Technology Zurich
- Taylor Institute
- The University of Basel (Faculty of Business Economics and PhD)
- United International Business School
- University of Bern
- University of Geneva
- University of St Gallen MBA
- University of Zurich
What universities accept GRE scores in New Zealand?
Academic institutions in New Zealand that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Massey University
- University Auckland
- University of Canterbury
- University of Otago
- Victoria University of Wellington
What universities accept GRE scores in China?
Academic institutions in China that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Dalian Medical University
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Fudan University of International MBA
- New York University Shanghai
- Nilin University of Technology
- South China University of Technology
- Southern University of Science and Technology
- Sun Yat-Sen Business School MBA
- Tsinghua University MBA Programmes
- University of Macau
- University of Nottingham Ningbo China
- Wuhan University of Economics and Management School
- Xi’an Jiaotong Liverpool University
- Xiamen University
- Zhejiang University MBA
What other top universities accept GRE scores?
Other top academic institutions around the globe that accept GRE scores are the following:
- Al-Farabi Kazakh National University
- American University of Dubai
- Lomonosov Moscow St University
- Moscow St University
- United Arab Emirates University
- University of the Philippines
GRE Countries Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Questions frequently asked about the GRE-accepting countries by test-takers are listed below:
What is the eligibility to take the GRE in other countries?
There are no specific eligibility criteria to take the GRE test in other countries. ETS, the maker of GRE, has not announced any eligibility guidelines for test-takers.
Are the GRE General Test questions the same across countries?
Yes, the GRE General Test has the same items across countries. Its test structure does not change based on location or country. Since it is a standardized test, it requires a test to be administered and scored in a consistent manner. This includes having the same questions from a common test bank.
What are the GRE Country Codes?
The ETS has assigned codes for the United States and other countries. These codes are short alphabetic geographical codes used in the data processing. Each code has a corresponding state, country, and province.
How to improve a GRE prep score?
To enhance your GRE prep score, focus on three key areas: content review, practice tests, and time management. Thoroughly review test material, targeting weak areas. Engage in regular practice tests to simulate exam conditions and identify patterns. Analyze mistakes to learn and adapt. Employ effective time management techniques to allocate moments wisely. Consistency and dedication are paramount; maintain a study schedule and seek resources like prep books and online materials.
Will a GRE prep course increase scores?
Some courses in GRE will boost scores by providing structured study plans, expert strategies, and realistic practice tests. These courses offer insights into the exam’s format and time management, helping students familiarize themselves with question types. While success isn’t guaranteed, focused guidance enhances confidence and understanding, leading to improved performance for many test-takers.