Free GRE practice test questions are available all over the internet to help aspiring applicants who are on a tight budget prepare for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). These mock practice tests may be free but can still equip students with the necessary skills and knowledge to ace the GRE examination.
The Best Free GRE Practice Tests
The top 5 Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Mock practice Tests that will help improve analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning scores are listed below:
1. POWERPREP® Online Practice Tests by Educational Testing Services (ETS)
The POWERPREP® Online Practice Tests is a free online practice test offered by the Educational Testing Services (ETS), the maker of the GRE. Inclusions are 2 full-length GRE practice tests (POWERPREP® Online – Practice Test 1 and POWERPREP® Online – Practice Test 2) and scores with score reports for the analytical writing section. These practice tests are administered online under the same condition as the actual GRE test.
- Designed by the makers of GRE, the ETS
- Filled with real GRE questions
- Full-length exam
- The computer-delivered exam is similar to actual test conditions
- Available only for ETS Account Users
- No preparation courses and workbooks
2. Manhattan Prep GRE Practice Test
The Manhattan Prep GRE is a free online mock practice test offered by Manhattan Prep, one of the known companies that offer admission test preparation courses. They offer several Graduate Record Examinations practice tests online and test-takers who create an account on the Manhattan Prep website will get an additional free test.
- In-depth answer explanations
- Full-length exam
- The computer-delivered exam is similar to actual test conditions
- Does not include actual GRE questions
- Lacks analysis of scores
3. Kaplan Online Free GRE Practice Test
The Online Free GRE Practice Test is offered by Kaplan, Inc., which offers a wide range of preparation courses for different admission tests. Kaplan, Inc. offer a variety of options for GRE preparation on their website kaplan.com for account holders.
- GRE Questions of the Day for a quick review
- 12-Questions teaser
- Explanations to answers are narrowly discussed
- Not section adaptive (opposite to actual GRE Test)
4. The Princeton Review GRE Test Prep Exam
The Princeton Review provides full-length practice tests under realistic conditions. They offer free GRE practice tests, free preparation trials, and other events to help students prepare for the Graduate Record Examinations. The Princeton Review is known for providing personalized, innovative, in-class private tutoring, test preparation, admission products and services. Its mission is to help students reach their academic goals and get into the schools of their choosing.
- Test duration and format are similar to the actual test
- Provides a basic score report
- Free events that discuss test preparation and strategies
- Lacks explanations for answers
- Access to test is only for 14 days
5. McGraw Hill GRE Practice Tests
McGraw Hill offer the McGraw-Hill’s Practice Plus. The McGraw-Hill’s Practice Plus offers students full-length GRE practice tests that assess knowledge of GRE test sections. The McGraw-Hill’s Practice Plus also helps students get familiar with the test format. They also provide problem-solving videos and other preparation resources on their website which are focused on particular Graduate Record Examinations sections. McGraw Hill also offer the McGraw-Hill’s 6 GRE Practice Tests, a Book by Christopher Thomas and Kathy A Zahler.
- An account is not needed
- Tests and problem-solving videos are section specific
- Explanations to problems including analytical writing assessment
- Format is different from actual GRE
List of Free GRE Practice Tests
A list of the free GRE Practice Tests Online are listed below:
- 4Tests.com GRE Practice Test
- 800Score’s Test
- POWERPREP® Online – Practice Test 1
- POWERPREP® Online – Practice Test 2
- CrunchPrep GRE Practice Test
- ETS Paper Exams
- ETS PowerPrep Plus GRE Practice Tests
- Galvanize Test Prep
- GRE Guide Practice Tests
- GRE Prep Club Practice test
- Kaplan Online Free GRE Practice Test
- Magoosh GRE Practice Test
- Majortests GRE Prep
- ManhattanPrep GRE Practice Test
- McGraw-Hill GRE Practice Test
- McGraw-Hill’s Practice Plus
- McGraw-Hill’s 6 GRE Practice Tests
- Mometrix GRE Practice Test
- My GRE Tutor Practice Tests
- Peterson’s GRE Practice Test
- Princeton Review Free GRE Practice Test
- Testden GRE Practice Test
- Test Guide GRE Practice Test
- Union Prep GRE Practice Test
- Varsity Tutors GRE Practice Test
To help you prepare for the GRE, use the above list of online free practice tests.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Questions frequently asked by GRE test-takers are listed below:
What Makes a Good GRE Practice Test?
Examples of what make a good GRE pratice test are as follows:
- High-Quality Questions: The free GRE practice test must to have practice question that are close as possible to the actual GRE exams. Meaning they are covering the same concepts, worded similarly and have the same difficultly level as the GRE test.
- Similar Format: A good GRE practice test must follow a similar format to the actual exams. This includes same number of sections, same number of questions, and same timing rules. For example the first section will Analytical Writing, where you’ll have two 30-minute blocks to write two essays: “Analyze an Issue” and “Analyze an Argument.”
- Strong Answer Explanations: A good GRE practice test answer explanation test must contain strong, clearly explained answer examples.
- Easy to Use: The GRE practice test must be easy to use. This means it should have an interface that is user-friendly and require minimal steps to access the practice exams.
What are the benefits of a free GRE Practice Tests?
The benefits of free GRE Practice Tests are the following:
- Help understand problem-solving strategies and how to use these in the test proper
- Help assess which areas need improvements
- Help get a feel for how the test administration works especially navigating the computer-based test
Taking a GRE practice exam is a great study technique. Through these practice tests, you will can active higher GRE scores because you are able to test knowledge and are prepared for what to expect on exam day.
How to choose a free GRE Practice Test?
The factors to consider in choosing a free GRE practice test are the following:
- Questions: Make sure that the questions in the practice test are of high quality and that it resembles the questions in the actual examination. This will help in understanding what to expect on the test day.
- Test Format: Make sure that it is full length and covers all the test sections such as the verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, and analytical writing assessment.
- Explanations: Make sure that it indicates the correct answer and explains thoroughly why it is the right one. This will help you assess what areas you usually make mistakes.
- Navigation: Make sure that the practice test is easy to use and navigate. But also make sure that it resembles what an actual GRE works and looks like.
Are free GRE Practice Tests helpful?
Yes, free GRE practice tests are helpful. In taking practice tests, a test taker gets a firsthand experience with the test format, gains familiarity with different question types, understands what is tested and learns to manage time during the actual GRE test.
Are GRE Preparation Courses better than free GRE Practice Tests?
Yes, according to previous GRE test-takers, enrolling in prep courses has been helpful in their preparation. Preparation courses help in making study plans, identifying strengths and weaknesses and discovering unique learning styles.
What are some other methods to prepare for the GRE?
Preparing for the GRE requires a multifaceted approach. Firstly, familiarize yourself with the exam format by taking practice tests, which helps identify strengths and weaknesses. Invest in reputable GRE prep books that offer strategies and practice questions. Joining a GRE study group can foster collaborative learning and provide diverse problem-solving techniques. Online resources, including video tutorials and forums, offer valuable insights. Additionally, consider enrolling in a GRE prep course for structured guidance. Regularly reviewing vocabulary and math concepts is crucial. Lastly, maintain a consistent study schedule, ensuring adequate rest before the test day.
What are GRE Preparation Courses?
GRE Preparation Courses are specialized training programs designed to help students prepare for the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). This standardized test is a prerequisite for many graduate schools in the U.S. and other countries. The courses offer strategies for tackling the verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing sections of the exam. Through practice tests, study materials, and expert guidance, these courses aim to boost test-takers’ confidence and scores.
Are there Free GRE Prep Courses?
There are several free GRE prep courses available online for students aiming to excel in the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Websites like Khan Academy offer lessons on quantitative and verbal topics, even if not GRE-specific. ETS, the organization behind the GRE, provides free PowerPrep software with practice tests and sample questions. Additionally, numerous forums and YouTube channels offer tips, strategies, and problem-solving techniques. It’s essential to combine these resources for comprehensive preparation.