Choosing the right GRE prep book can help test-takers attain high scores on the test. A lot of aspiring graduate school students must earn a good score on the GRE. A strategic plan and reliable study resources are essential to passing the GRE exam. Hence, each test-taker needs to be knowledgeable about which prep book suits their specific needs, what features to look for in a GRE book, and other guidelines to consider before finally purchasing a book.
Why use a GRE Prep Book?
Prep books provide comprehensive preparation for the GRE test. Valuable GRE prep books can help test-takers master the questions on the GRE by providing practice tests and strategies. Prep books also have a concise explanation of the correct answer provided. Adding the GRE Prep book to an examinee’s study materials will make them more confident during the actual test dates.
How much do GRE prep books cost?
Around $6 to $50 is the price range for a GRE book. The prices of GRE prep books vary from non-expensive to average to expensive. Non-expensive prep books can cost as low as $6, average prep books can cost between $20 and $50, and expensive prep books can cost upward of $50.
How many GRE prep books do test-takers need?
Only one GRE book is advised for GRE preparation. Test-takers should only purchase one GRE test prep book that contains everything they need, from test-taking strategies to practice tests. Jumping from one book to another can only be confusing, so test-takers are recommended to only focus on one or two prep books at most.
Guide Before Buying A GRE Prep Book
Consider these tips and guidelines to consider before buying a GRE prep book:
- Assess weak areas on the GRE by taking a diagnostic test. Before buying a GRE prep book, the test-taker must first assess the areas of the GRE test they’re weak on by taking a diagnostic test. This will help them prioritize particular subjects and will help them choose which prep book suits them the most.
- Test-takers must identify their preferred style of learning. Those who prefer visual learning can get GRE prep books with CDs, and if a test-taker already attended a GRE prep course, they can get a book specifically designed to supplement what they have learned already.
- Consider the time left before the test day. Test-takers must choose a prep book they can read and finish at a convenient pace. This will help them focus on the essential aspects of the test and test and not over-or under-prepared for the test.r prepare for the test.
- Consider the prep book’s features. There should be tips on how to study, strategies for answering questions effectively, and things to remember on test day in a GRE prep book. There should also be comprehensive reviews of all the GRE sections and full-length mock tests.
The guides included above are among the factors to look out for when choosing a prep book to purchase. Test-takers must consider their preferred style of learning, their test preparation time, and the content and features of the prep book.
Would an old GRE Book still be useful?
Yes, old GRE books are still helpful. The formats and content of the questions are carried over from year to year. However, getting a GRE prep book with the latest version is safer to get nearly accurate and related test samples from the current GRE exam.
Should a test taker buy GRE prep books online?
Yes, a test taker may buy GRE prep books online. Keep in mind that when buying a prep book online, the test-taker should first check the reviews and feedback of the book they want to buy.
How to select the right GRE book?
Follow these tips below for choosing the right GRE book:
- Check the availability of practice tests. The test-taker should pick a book that features at least two practice tests.
- Read some online reviews. To identify which GRE books are worth the purchase, the test-taker can check online for reviews and feedback on the various available GRE prep books in the market.
- The prep book should cover the content of the GRE in great detail. If the test-taker wants a comprehensive prep book, they should look for a book that provides a thorough review of each GRE section. Analytical, verbal, and quantitative sections are all equally significant. The right GRE book should give due attention to all these test areas.
- Check for supplemental resources. If the test-taker wants to switch up how they study, some GRE prep books can give access to mobile or online supplemental resources.
- Consider the quality of the answers and the explanations. A GRE prep book with comprehensive explanations for each question is recommended.
Picking the right GRE book is also based on multiple factors, including which graduate program the test-taker is seeking, their current verbal skill level, and their goal scores.
What features of a GRE book must be avoided?
The features of GRE books to avoid are the following:
- Avoid GRE books that seem to be very accessible. Books that are too open for everyone’s access tend to have low-quality content. Most GRE books with accurate and reliable content are paid.
- GRE books containing issues with their test questions must be avoided. Assess if the GRE books have too complicated or too simple test practices.
- Avoid GRE prep books that contain questions that are too problematic to be useful.
When looking at online reviews and feedback on GRE prep books, test-takers can identify which particular books to avoid.
What should you look for in a good GRE book?
The features to look for in a good GRE book are the following:
- Good practice tests. Practice tests are an important aspect of a prep book since they will help evaluate the progress and weak areas of the test-taker.
- Exam overview. A good GRE prep book must give you a thorough overview of the test structure and scoring methods.
- Availability of test-taking strategies. Good test-taking strategies can help test-takers get a boost in their GRE scores.
- Quantity of questions. Ideally, test-takers should choose a book that has around 2,000 test questions.
- Question bank. Having a separate question bank is helpful. It will help test-takers to focus on specific question types for improvement.
- Pricing. The prices of GRE prep books may vary from non-expensive to average to expensive. Test-takers should expect to pay around $50 for well-known GRE prep books.
- In-depth content review. A GRE prep book containing comprehensive explanations for each question, as well as tips on how to answer them, is recommended.
- Realistic practice questions. Prep books that simulate the actual GRE practice questions are recommended.
Before buying a GRE book, test-takers must consider the quality of practice tests, availability of test-taking strategies, the number of questions, pricing, quality of answer explanations, and if the practice questions are realistic enough.
List of the Best GRE Prep Books
If you wish to know what benefits and lessons you will get from the best GRE prep books, below is a table containing the features of the best GRE prep books:
|1. Manhattan Prep GRE: Set of 8 Strategy Guides||
|2. ETS’ Official GRE Super Power Pack||
|3. GRE Prep by Magoosh||
|4. Kaplan’s GRE Prep Plus||
|5. Manhattan’s 5Lb Prep GRE Book||
|6. The ETS Official Guide to the GRE||
|7. ETS’ Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions||
|8. ETS’ Official GRE for Quantitative Reasoning by ETS||
|9. Cracking the GRE (4 practice tests) by the Princeton Review||
|10. GRE Complete: Self-Study guide for GRE by Kaplan||
|11. 500 essential words: GRE vocabulary flashcards||
|12. GRE vocabulary flashcards + app (Kaplan prep test)||
|13. Nova’s GRE Math Bible||
|14. GRE Reading Comprehension & Essays (Manhattan Prep)||
|15. Barron’s GRE, 22nd Edition||
The table above contains the various GRE prep books available in the market with their respective features.
What are the top 5 GRE books for a better score in 2022 and 2023?
The top 5 GRE prep books that can help you get a better test score are as follows:
- Manhattan Prep’s 5 Lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems
- ETS’ Official GRE Super Power Pack 2nd Edition
- Kaplan’s GRE Prep Plus 2021
- Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides
- Barron’s Essential Words for the GRE 2021
The five books mentioned are the five best GRE prep books to have in 2022. If you’re aiming to take the GRE this year, make sure to add these books to your GRE preparation essentials.
The Pros and Cons of the Top 5 GRE Books
The following are the pros and cons of each of the books included in the top 5 list:
|1. Manhattan Prep’s 5 Lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems||
|2. ETS’ Official GRE Super Power Pack 2nd Edition||
|3. Kaplan’s GRE Prep Plus 2021||
|4. Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides||
|5. Barron’s Essential Words for the GRE 2021||
Students reviewing for the GRE should weigh the pros and cons of each prep book before finally buying one. Remember that the GRE books you choose must fit your personal needs.
What is the difference between books and GRE Prep Courses?
Books and GRE Prep Courses serve the same purpose: to prepare students for the GRE exam. However, they differ in format and approach. Books provide a self-paced study option, offering strategies, practice questions, and content reviews. They’re cost-effective but require self-discipline. On the other hand, great GRE Prep Courses, often online or in-person, offer structured lessons, interactive sessions, and personalized feedback, but at a higher cost.